Saturday, December 1, 2012

In loving memory

Today started out great. We woke up and tried out a gender experiment (which I'll talk about in a later post), we had lunch with friends we haven't seen in a while, bought some more Christmas lights, and then I sent my loving husband and son off to see the light parade while I got ready for work.

We had sushi for lunch and afterward they passed around a plate of fortune cookies. Mine read: "Life is a gift, don't waste it." I had no idea that wisdom would mean so much only hours later.

After sending Rich and Braedan off to the light show I logged on to Facebook really quick, only to see that a good friend of mine passed away last night. Whenever I see the phrase "passed away" I think of something that happened peacefully, perhaps during sleep. This was not the case for my friend. Unfortunately Brittany was murdered, by someone she knew, and left in a cold intersection. I couldn't believe it, I still can't.

Brittany Grosse was one of the most bubbly people I knew, and her 100 watt smile could cheer you up on the gloomiest day. Brittany was one of those people who made you feel right at home, she got that trait from the rest of her family. I called them my big fat Greek surrogate family. She was smart, classy, down to earth, and loved her family and friends fiercely. She was young, too young to be taken from all the possibilities life still had to offer her. My heart aches, not just because she's gone but because she'll never get to be a mom, an aunt, a grandma. She'll never graduate from college and go on to have a successful career. She won't get to wake up on Christmas morning and flash that brilliant smile while she opens her presents.

I know Brittany would want us to remember her the way she was. Funny, loving, passionate. I know she's in a better place, and she's safe now, but that doesn't make it hurt any less.

Brittany Grosse. It's not a recent picture but it's candid. I will never forget that smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment